B. Second, read the post about 25-word pitches here, and at least some of the 117 comments!
C. Then, if you'd like us to help with your pitch, do this:
- Email your pitch paragraph to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
- In the email, tell me whether you want your real name used, and tell me what genre the book is and, if for children, the age range.
- Make sure that your pitch is as good as you can make it, following these guidelines:
- every word must count
- it needs must-read factor, in keeping with the genre
- it should focus on the main character (if fiction)
- it must be specific and not general - eg not "it's about redemption" but "it's about an angry young man who...because...and then"
- it must indicate how the story ends or at least where the journey is heading
- it should not contain rhetorical questions
- the tone must reflect the tone of the book
- it must be objective and therefore contain no praisey bits. You cannot say "beautifully written", for example. Though you can say "fast-moving".
- your target word count is as close to 160 words as possible
- in essence, your aim is to make someone who would normally read and love this genre be desperate to read this book :))
I usually get a lot of people sending pitches in for this so I can't promise to include yours. What I do promise is that I will not set you up for failure, in the sense that I won't put it on the blog if I think you are going to get mostly negative feedback. My blog readers are an incredibly supportive and sensible bunch and feedback has been of high quality but sometimes I feel that a pitch isn't really ready for public scrutiny and then I won't put it up. But if I don't put yours up it might be just that I didn't have space! I also try to vary the genres.
Meanwhile, today I am wearing my red pointy boots at an award ceremony that Wasted is shortlisted for. It's called the RED award and personally I think I should win simply because the cover is red. And so are my boots. What more does anyone want??